The committee seeks stunning outdoor sculptures to be exhibited downtown for a 12 month duration. Installation will be in the last two weeks of May, 2015
- This call is open to international artists/teams 18 years of age and older.
- Work must be available for the entire exhibition period (May 2015 to June 2016)
- Selected Artists will receive a $2000 honorarium. All travel costs for delivery and pick up of the artwork are the responsibility of the artist.
- Hotel accommodations while in Gulfport
- Special installation hardware other than standard concrete anchor bolt(s) are the responsibility of the artist.
- Selected artists must also provide an artist statement, bio, CV, and headshot for public relations.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Complete applications must be received by 5:00 pm on Friday, February 27, 2015. All applications will be electronic. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No materials will be returned.
- The artworks will be installed in downtown Gulfport, MS. The selection committee will decide the final location of the selected works.
- All pads are ground level; unless a base is incorporated into the design and construction of a piece all works are bolted at ground level.
- Work will be insured for the duration of the exhibition only.
- Work may be of any media, but must be impervious to the elements and require no maintenance. Safety, the use of non-hazardous materials, and durability are essential considerations.
- Works requiring electricity/water or other utilities will not be considered.
- Work must be suitable for display in a public setting and can withstand adverse weather conditions that include high winds and lots of rain/humidity.
- Work should be appropriate for an active pedestrian environment.
- Work must be able to be secured using anchor bolts.
- Tabs for anchoring work must be secure prior to installation, we do not have tools and equipment on hand for welding or repairing sculptures.
- Work must be available for installation May 15 – May 29, 2015.
- Proposals for unbuilt work will not be accepted.
- Work must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
- The City of Gulfport will provide a fork lift and other installation services but the artist will be required to direct installations and provide any specialized hardware needed for installation.
- Only work made in the past 6 years will be considered for the exhibition.
- Application Deadline: February 27, 2015
- Finalists Notified: by email around mid-March 2015
- Contracts Completed: End of March 2015
- Installation: May 15 through May 29, 2015
- Opening Reception: TBA June, 2015
- De-installation: End of May 2016 SELECTION
REQUIREMENTS Each artist or artist team may submit up to three works of art for consideration. Applications must be received by 5 p.m. Central Daylight Time on Friday, February 29, 2015. There is no application fee. Please put Gulfport Sculpture Competition in the subject line of any emails.
The following materials will be required:
- Short two-page résumé, .doc, .docx or .pdf, only. Please include contact information.
- Digital Images. Images of up to three woks (made within the last 6 years). Please send a maximum of three images of any one work. Please label the images lastnameA.jpg, lastnameB.jpg. For example torresA.jpg, torresB.jpg, etc. Images should be 300 dpi at about 4x6 inches.
- Slide key- please send a document or pdf file that lists all the information about the works as it corresponds to the slide images. Make sure you include, titles, dates, materials, size of individual piece or overall size of works if it is a multi-part installation. Please include any pertinent information about the installation process or special installation requirements. The organizing committee reserves the right to reject any work that arrives for installation and differs significantly from application images or has installation requirements different than originally defined.
- Link to prospectus- https://gulfportart.wordpress.com/
- Email application materials to email@example.com. Electronic submission only. You will need to send multiple emails if you have more than one work. Please put “Gulfport Sculpture Competition” in the subject line of all emails.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION For questions contact Jen Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Do not send submissions to these email addresses.