Saturday, December 3, 2016

Hannah Cartee, Clemson University BFA in Art Candidate, to Start Internship at Museum of the Cherokee in South Carolina in Walhalla


Museum of the Cherokee in South Carolina

Hannah Cartee, a Clemson University BFA in Art (emphasis in sculpture) candidate, is set to begin an internship at the Museum of the Cherokee in South Carolina in December 2016 upon graduation.  Hannah’s internship will begin with work inventorying artifacts as well as working to incorporate artifacts on permanent loan from the Cherokee collection from Keowee-Toxaway State Park into the museum’s current displays.  She will also begin work on developing displays in the museum’s new annex, a former Oconee County office building built in 1959, donated by the county.
 
Internship Opportunity at the Museum of the Cherokee in South Carolina

by Hannah Lane Cartee   

Connections you establish are Always Important!  

The Museum of the Cherokee in South Carolina is located in Walhalla. Funded through grants and donations, the Museum has been under construction for several years. The efforts of numerous volunteers have made the museum a reality.   Andrea Feeser, Professor of Art History at Clemson University, first introduced me to Mr. Luther Lyle, director and curator for the Museum of the Cherokee. 

I wanted to learn more about the Cherokee due to my heritage. Mr. Lyle was working on a project, "Oconee Town," and asked for my assistance to design a logo. It was a great opportunity to work with him and to learn more about Cherokee history. 

After I had completed my design for the logo, I asked if there were any other opportunities to work with the Museum. As a result of an internship in Clemson's Lee Gallery working with gallery director, Denise Woodward-Detrich, and other skills on my resume, Mr. Lyle proposed a paid internship to the Board of Directors.  The board quickly approved, and I accepted.  Within the museum, I will be able to out the skills that I acquired during my studies for the Bachelor of Fine Arts at Clemson to work immediately

Without the connections offered by Professor Feeser and the skills taught to me by Denise Woodward-Detrich, I would have not have been able to establish this connection with Mr. Lyle and the Museum of the Cherokee in South Carolina.  I am beyond grateful for the opportunity to go directly from Clemson into a paid internship, all before I have graduated! 

***
 For more information, to volunteer, and/or to support this project, contact Luther Lyle, director and curator by emailing: lutherlyle@bellsouth.net.The Museum of the Cherokee in South Carolina is funded through grants and donations, and the museum has been under construction for several years. Efforts of numerous volunteers have made this dream a reality. 


Located across from the County Court House in Walhalla, the Museum is open to the public on Saturday from 10am to 2pm.

Museum of the Cherokee in South Carolina
70 Short Street, Walhalla SC 29691
Email: info@cherokeemuseumsc.org