Submission Deadline: Due December 14, 2014
Number: journal seeks articles and reviews for publication in the Winter 2015 issue. Number: wants to know what defines the visual arts of the South. Submissions to this issue can explore specific artists or artworks that are part of defining art of the South. Other areas of consideration may also include defining characteristics of the Art of the South. This is intended to be a broad exploration of the people, artwork, aesthetics, and organizations that have and/or continue to make significant contribution to the visual arts of the region.
Number: 81- Defining Art of the South
In addition to writing focused on Community Building, Number: always seeks writers for reviews, interviews, and regional updates. These writings can be about current or recent exhibitions taking place in the region or about artists residing in the region showing outside of the tri-state area of TN, MS, and AR. Specifics for each type of submission are found below.
Guidelines for all writers (review additional guidelines for specific submission types):
· Submissions are typed in 12 point font, double spaced
· Italicize titles of works of art and books
· Submitted as a .doc (not .docx)
· Include author name, affiliation, and contact information (email, address, and phone #)
· High resolution JPEG or TIFF images (300 dpi @ 5”X7”)
· Cutlines for each image that includes artist name, title of work, size, year, medium and photo credit
· Author cutline (a short descriptive sentence about you-100 characters)
· 1500-2000 words
· Addresses theme of the issue
· Includes 3-5 digital images to support the writing
· 500-1000 words
· Critical discussion of works presented in exhibitions
· Title of show/exhibition, name of artist, location, and dates of exhibition noted at the top of the page.
· 3-5 digital images from the exhibition or of the artists work
· 1500-2000 words
· Provided in interview format that includes the question
· Short introduction to the artist or interviewee
· 5-10 digital images of the artists work
· 500 words
· Provides a look at what is happening with the visual arts in your area
· 2-3 digital images to support writing
All submissions must be submitted electronically at https://numberinc.submittable.com/submit by December 14 to be considered for publication. Authors of works selected for print publication will be provided a contract for compensation. Questions regarding submission guidelines and number publication can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Number: Inc. advances the visual arts of the South by publishing critical discourse that educates, advocates, and informs. This mission is realized through the publication of Number:, an independent journal of the arts. Past issues of Number: are available at www.numberinc.org